Verizon’s 2020 DBIR is out, you can download a copy or peruse their publication online. Kaspersky was a contributor once again, and we are happy to provide generalized incident data from our unique and objective research.
We have contributed to this project and others like it for years now. This year’s ~120 page report analyses data from us and 80 other contributors from all over the world. The team provides thoughts on a mountain of breach data – “This year, we analyzed a record total of 157,525 incidents. Of those, 32,002 met our quality standards and 3,950 were confirmed data breaches”. And this year, Verizon pulled in far more data on cybercrime breaches. We include a few interesting notes here:
- 70% of reported breaches were perpetrated by external actors
- a majority of breaches do not just involve a dropped trojan
- 86% of breaches were financially motivated
- 81% of breaches were contained in days or less
- defenders are up against organized crime
- almost a third of reported breaches involved ransomware