When you arrive to a foreign country you may encounter an unexpected
situation when the local authorities request your passwords. If you
refuse, your entry to the country may be denied. That is a really
bad situation. So, what should you do and what shouldn’t you do in
order to not to lose your sensitive information and at the same time
be granted entry to the country?
- Have a bulk email with a unique password. This email address
must be simple but a real one with no sensitive information
stored in it. Please remember that the password you have for it
shouldn’t be the same as for any other resource. The same is for
the secret question you may have for the password recovery.
- Don’t bring your main computer on trips! Have a travel one;
use it only for when you travel abroad. Since it would be only
for travel, you may encrypt only a part of the hard drive of
this computer and not the entire disk. It will help you avoid
- If you bring USB devices, make sure not to have anything
sensitive on them.
- Work only under your own VPN connections; make sure to use
OpenVPN since it works even under very restrictive Firewalls and
- Make sure to use security software capable to detect malware
and also network layer attacks.